You have to be invited to Pinterest, but the good news is you can invite yourself – and they aren’t at all picky.
Simply go to www.pinterest.com and click on ‘Request and Invite’, alternatively you can ask a friend who is already a member to invite you (this may be quicker).
Be sure to use the same email address that your Twitter account is registered with. This enables you to tie your accounts together for maximum exposure.
Once your account is active, optimise it under the settings tab. Select a flattering profile picture, your pen name and profile information including a brief description about yourself. Be sure to mention your latest releases and website!
To get started, create a few pinboards. You’ll have to do this before you start building a following. The more content you have the more you will engage followers.
Promote your pinterest boards through other channels to get the ball rolling. Use Facebook, Twitter and your website to promote your pins. On the pinterest site you can download icons and web links to use on your site. Take advantage of these.
Engage with other pins. In particular follow pins you may want to follow you back, thereby creating a targeted following of prospective readers and book buyers.
Pinterest offers a range of activities to enable marketing. As an author your goal is name / brand recognition and creating interest around your books, themes or interests.
Here are some marketing ideas:
- Use strong visuals on your pinboards to attract followers
- Use e-book and cover art
- Always link back to your book sales page or website
- Use descriptive well by enticing new readers
- Add the Pin-it button to your website
- Nurture leads by connecting with followers
- Stand out as an industry leader by pinning unusual content
- Add links in your pin descriptions
- Create a video gallery with book promotions or book signings, events and appearances
- Use hashtags – Pinterest supports the hashtags, just like Twitter!
- Feature offline events, signings or workshops you may be involved in
Pinterest is all about connecting with your readers and recruiting new followers. By creatively pinning engaging images and videos to grab attention and linking to your website or book pages, you’ll create your own buzz and generate leads that otherwise would never be possible.