This is a quick lesson in the principles of cover design. I’ve written posts in the past about what goes into a bestselling ebook cover, but today I’m going to demonstrate, using the cover of my marketing book (released next month).
First take a good look at the cover below, then read through the bullet points, which outline why this is a great cover design.
- It looks professional. There is some good design work going down there. Layers, colour combinations and design all combine in a credible cover. There is nothing amateurish about this cover. Its professionalism gives the subtle message that this book is credible and worth reading.
- The cover has a chick-lit feel, which I wanted, since romance writers and writers of chick-lit are my primary target market. The aim of this book is to help romance authors market themselves online. Hopefully, the design will resonate with them and catch their eye.
- A descriptive title appears on the cover. Love Matters, in itself, is not enough. The consumer needs to know that this is a guide to online marketing for romance writers. This is particularly significant for non-fiction books. There must be no mistaking what the book is about.
- The design is cleverly put together. The cut-out letters, the bird and the dotted lines signify communication, the clouds signify the online environment and the colours and hearts give it a romantic edge.
- The fonts are easy to read and compliment the style of the rest of the cover.
- When condensed into a thumbnail size, the cover still looks great and is easy to read. This is vitally important on platforms like Amazon.
All in all, this is a professional, well thought out cover design – which is why it works.
The cover for Love Matters – An Online Marketing Guide for Romance Writers was designed by Bronwyn, for www.MarketingforRomanceWriters.com. Find out more about our cover design services.